Saturday, March 21, 2009

Shredded chicken

I love to use shredded chicken in things, as opposed to chopped cubed chicken. So once or twice a month I make shredded chicken and freeze it, because by the time I remember to make it, it's usually too late!

So here is my shredded chicken method:

4-8 chicken breasts (whatever fits in the crock pot) I usually buy my chicken
breasts when the local grocery store runs 40 lb for $55 or something, so I do this the first day I get them and freeze the rest of the chicken breasts to use later, so USUALLY the chicken breasts are frozen, but this works either way
1-2 Tbsp chicken base
1/4 c dehydrated onion
few dashes of garlic salt- maybe 1/2 tsp or to taste
few dashes of poultry seasoning- again 1/2 tsp or to taste
1/4 c water
Place all ingredients in a crock pot. If frozen begin on High for at least 4 hours. I usually do 6 hours on high, then 2-4 hours on low. The house smells amazing all day. After the first 6 hours or so, I use a couple of forks to shred what I can so that it all simmers for the next 2-4 hours in the broth. Cool completely and portion it into Ziploc bags or , if you are lucky and have a sealer, it works great! Freeze for later use.

Some of my favorite ways to use this are for salads, especially Won ton Salad, Chicken and cream cheese rolls, stir fry, soups, BBQ chicken, and salsa chicken. The later two I can either do at the last minute, or when I actually plan ahead. I basically for the BBQ or Salsa chicken I just add the chicken then either our favorite BBQ sauce (We LOVE Winger's BBQ sauce which has become available in our local grocery store) or for salsa chicken I just add a can of salsa. With either, if I am using frozen chicken, I add 1/4-1/2 c water.

No comments:

Post a Comment