Sunday, March 15, 2009

Cafe Rio Pork

Café Rio Style Pork Barbacoa
Thanks to my friend Cyndi for this recipe. It's definitely a family favorite!

Put a 2-3 lb pork roast or tenderloin in a in a crock pot and cook until very tender (about 8-10 hours on low) Drain off the juice.

Shred pork with a fork and add:
1 can enchilada sauce (about 15 oz)
2 cloves minced garlic
1 small can diced green chilies
1 can Coca-Cola (NOT DIET)
1 cup+ brown sugar
salt to taste ( not usually very much)

Cook for at least one more hour, but I prefer to let it simmer another 3-4. If it is still too juicy, I'll put it on the stove and reduce it a bit more, or drain off some sauce before serving.

I like to cook the pork overnight on Saturdays (Except that the the fabulous smell sometimes wakes me up lol !), then add the sauce before church so it simmers for a while before we get home. I love to serve this on the Costco tortillas that you cook yourself, with lettuce, cheese, sour cream and guacamole; or as a salad.
MMmmmmm.

This recipe can be doubled

1 comment: